Consular, Passport and Visa Division Consular, Passport and Visa Division

Bachelorhood/Single Status Certificate

Q: How can I get Bachelorhood/Single-Status Certificate?

A Certificate of Bachelorhood/ Single-Status can be issued by the area Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) or District Magistrate or Court authorities (The area is to be determined as per the address mentioned in the applicant's passport). This certificate is required to be counter-attested by the Home Department of the State concerned. Thereafter, it is attested by the Attestation Section of the Consular, Passport & Visa (CPV) Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi. (For details regarding attestation of documents, please log on to ). In case, for some reason, the applicant is unable to apply for this certificate personally, he can authorise an attorney to get the work done on his behalf, if this is acceptable to the concerned authorities in the State concerned. (Kindly note that issuance of this kind of certificate falls within the jurisdiction of the authorities of the concerned State Government/ Union Territory of India. Only the counter-attestation of the certificate is done by the Ministry of External Affairs.)

Caution: You are advised not to approach middle-men or agents for bachelorhood/ single-status certificates, as there is every possibility that you might get a fake/forged certificate which may be rejected by the concerned Indian Embassy/Consulate abroad.