Issue of No Obligation to Return to India (NORI) Certificate
Click here for NORI - Bio-Data Proforma
Click here for NORI - Affidavit Proforma
- As per the Immigration laws of United States of America, for all J-1 visa holders, 2 years of home (India) residency is mandatory.While applying for H1B visa, i.e., work visa, the J-1 visa holders are required to submit to US authorities a NORI Certificate
waiving condition of the two-year stay back in India.Normally, the applicants who are staying in USA need a J1-waiver for which they need to apply for a NORI Certificate to the Indian Missions/Posts concerned in USA.Those who have returned to India may apply
for this Certificate in the CPV Division, Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.The applicants staying in a third country are required to apply at the Indian Mission/Post concerned.
- Procedure for issuing NORI Certificate:
The following documents are to be submitted along with application (Miscellaneous Service) for issuing NORI Certificate:
- Ink signed copy of NOC from the Ministry of HRD (Department of Higher Education) or Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in case of doctors & medical professionals[Instructions for issuance of clearances are issued by the concerned Ministries from time
- Ink signed copy of NOC from Regional Passport Office [where the applicant’s passport was issued initially];
- NOC from the Home Department of State/Union Territory in India where the applicant belongs to.
- Original notarized affidavit containing full details of his/her visit to USA on student visa, especially, details of his/her Indian passport number, date and place of issue, period of stay in USA, his/her address in USA during his/her stay there and his/her
present address in the place where currently staying.
- Copies of the Indian passports including the one in which the candidate travelled to US and US visa pages;
- Copy of Third Part Bar Code page from the US State Department containing the applicant’s Waiver Review Case File Number (this is required to be quoted in the NORI Certificate as well as details of passport, US address, etc.);
- Applicants are expected to submit the above mentioned documents, in original, along with their application with prescribed fee for miscellaneous consular services.It is the responsibility of the applicant concerned to obtain all necessary clearances.
- It is needless to mention that application for issue of NORI Certificate is to be submitted at the CPV Division of Ministry of External Affairs, should the applicant be in India at the time of application. For those who are applying from a third country
where they are currently staying, the concerned Mission/Post should issue NORI Certificate by accepting all the above documents. Specimen copy of the letter is enclosed for reference.
- Specimen copies of the bio-data and affidavit for Miscellaneous Services are attached.