- President of Palestine, H.E. Mr. Mahmoud Abbas will be on a State Visit to India on 11th September 2012 which will be his fourth visit to India and second State Visit. He will be accompanied by a delegation comprising senior Ministers including Dr. Saeb
M.S. Erakat, PLO Executive Committee Member, and Mr. Nabil G.O. Aburudainah, President’s Advisor. The visit includes inter-alia meeting with President, Delegation level talks with PM, calls by Vice President, and External Affairs Minister.
- India's solidarity with the Palestinian people and its support for the Palestinian cause go back in time. India's empathy with the Palestinian cause and its friendship with the people of Palestine has become an integral part our foreign policy. India has
extended its consistent and unwavering support to the Palestinian issue. In line with our support for UN Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338, India supports a negotiated solution resulting in a sovereign, independent, viable and united State of Palestine
living within secure and recognized borders, side by side at peace with Israel as endorsed in the Quartet Roadmap and UNSC Resolutions 1397 & 1515. India has supported the Arab Peace Plan, which calls for withdrawal of Israel to pre-1967 borders, along with
recognition of Israel and the establishment of the State of Palestine with East Jerusalem as its capital. India has called for an end to illegal Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories and had welcomed the ‘direct talks’ between the Israelis
and the Palestinians.
- India has always extended its support to Palestine in multilateral fora. India strongly supported the Palestinian application for membership of UN in 2011. India also supported Palestine in gaining membership in UNESCO in October 2011.
- Apart from strong political support to the Palestinian cause at international, regional and bilateral levels, India has also been contributing, since long time, material and technical assistance to the Palestinian people. During the present visit, both
sides will sign MOUs for cooperation in ICT, vocational training and constructing schools in Palestine.
- The visit will also provide an opportunity for reviewing the entire gamut of bilateral relations, the Middle East Peace Process, regional and international issues of common concern and in particular the political turmoil in West Asia.
September 6, 2012