1. The first edition of the Arab-India Energy Forum (AIEF) was held in a virtual format on 8-9 June 2021 under the co-chairship of India and the Kingdom of Morocco. The event was in implementation of the Executive Programme of the Arab-India Cooperation Forum (AICF) and the decision of the third meeting of the Senior Officials of India and the League of Arab States (LAS) held virtually on 12 January 2021. Click here for Urdu version
Click here for Bengali version
Click here for Gujarati version
Click here for Kannada version
Click here for Malayalam version
Click here for Odia version
Click here for Punjabi version
Click here for Tamil version
Click here for Telugu version
Click here for Assamese version
2. The inaugural session of the Forum was addressed by H. E. Shri R. K. Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, New & Renewable Energy of India; H. E. Mr. Aziz Rabbah, Minister of Energy, Mines and Environment of Morocco; and H.E. Dr. Kamal Hasan Ali, Assistant Secretary General for Economic Affairs of the LAS. The subsequent plenary sessions explored potential and challenges of cooperation in the fields of energy transition, intra-regional power trading, hydrocarbons and nuclear power generation. The panellists were drawn from a wide range of public and private sector institutions from India and LAS member states as also key regional organisations such as the Organisation of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries (OAPEC) and Arab Atomic Energy Agency (AAEA).
3. The Forum witnessed exchange of knowledge, expertise and best practices in the fields of energy efficiency programmes for different economic sectors, accelerated development of new & renewable energy, fostering regional power sharing arrangements, enhanced oil recovery, tight gas extraction, and safe nuclear power generation etc. There was also discussion on respective national regulatory policies governing these sectors, investment opportunities as well as R&D and training collaboration possibilities.
4. The experts noted that even as India and several LAS member states strived to transition towards clean and green energy economies, their reliance on hydrocarbons will likely continue in the near future.
5. In conclusion, the participants conveyed their sincere appreciation to the two Ministers for their co-chairship and gracious patronage of the Forum, and also thanked the General Secretariat of the LAS for their excellent coordination in putting together a substantive programme.
6. They agreed to convene the second edition of the AIEF in India during the year 2023.
June 09, 2021